Music is very powerful; no one can deny it. It was invented and used from the ancient time by the Roman and the Greek in many purposes in their lives. Music at that time was a magical tool for healing, communication and relaxation. People listen to music for enjoyment as well as relax their mind. Both poor and rich people love music, it helped people at that time to close the gap between citizens. It is such a loss if we can’t use music in educating and forming the personality of our children. This article will explain more about the role of music in education and how we can use it in order to make them smarter, more active and express their emotions better.
How Music Can Affect the Children?
As far as we know, children can feel the beats and other types of sounds when they are still unborn. The heartbeat of their mother is one of the first sounds that they can feel and partly understand. After birth, children are put to sleep by lullabies which are songs with gentle voice and music to make the kids fall asleep. Music is an important part of everyday life that we keep absorbing active and passively. That’s the reason why music is also a means of communication of human, similar to birds.
To children, music is very powerful because songs and tunes can attract them more than words and sentences. The music can express more emotions than words, that’s the reason why films use soundtracks to lead the way of the script and help watchers know the real emotions of the scenes. In fact, not only to children, but also in each individual, the music is considered to have a deep connection with body and soul. Therefore, using music as a way to improve mental and physical health of children must be researched and applied widely.
Moreover, music can develop the personality of children. Researches show that anyone, especially children and students, can improve their social skills through music and music – related activities. For example:
- Children who take part in a band or musical group have better ability of group working, team leading and better at communication.
- Students using music as a studying method often have higher results in comparison with others who don’t play concentration music when studying or revising lesson.
- Music encourages people to be more active, self – esteem, self – confident and stronger in physical and mental condition.
Another thing that I shouldn’t forget to mention is that children who play any type of musical instrument or sing have better communication skills. They often make friends faster, mingle with strangers quite easily and never feel boring or tired when there are any troubles. That’s one of the biggest benefits of music education to children.
Benefits of Music to Children in Education
First, we should mention the development of study efficiency for children who study music as a subject. They learn to talk as well as sing faster and more accurately. The reason behind this is about the way they know about the words. Normally, they have to use their mind to remember each word and repeat them, but when they learn it in a song, because of the beats and the rhythms, the words would be catchy and easy to remember.
In addition, music is considered an art subject – the creation of human with the sounds, so when we encourage our students to dig deeper into it, we can help them open their horizons and see what they can do even though our students haven’t tried this before. The skills applied in learning music – related subjects such as musical instruments (guitar, piano, violin…) or singing (maybe dancing as well) are various. It is the combination of a large number of senses and skills that require learners to be focus and concentrate to the instructions. A child learns faster than an adult, but it forgets it faster as well, so music is a good method to help your kid remember thing faster without losing the memories later.
How Can We Apply Music to Education?
There are lots of teaching methods that we can use to apply music into further education. Each method has its own advantages, but also some requirements following. We should consider them carefully so as to achieve the best result without wasting too much resources.
- Performing chorus can help children construct their teamwork spirit. Not only the chorus members, but the leader must know the importance of the position they are doing. The kids have to try their best to be reliable members in the team. Attending the chorus can build up the kid’s responsibility. For example, if a kid plays the only high voice in the band, he must know that taking part in every rehearsal is his responsibility.
- Scientists indicate that learning to play a type of musical instrument helps your child to solve problems faster and have higher ability of thinking and information processing. Reading music sheets and solving math problems use the same part of the brain. That’s the reason why many musicians are very good at Maths as well.
- Learning music also creates good habit in the free time, so that your children won’t be lured into social evils like alcohols, sex arousing materials…
In general, music plays an important part in educating and training the kids from the very young age. That’s the reason why we should let them know and get used to the world of music. Music is one of the most effective ways to separate our mind from the surrounding environment and create favorable condition for absolute concentration.